Thursday, September 20, 2012

Mom Lesson #174

I have learned another "Mom Lesson" this last week. I don't even know which number this mom lesson is (I should start a notebook and number them), so we'll start on 174. Today's gem of wisdom is this:

Mom Lesson #174
Moms do not get sick days. They get sick minutes and if they are really lucky, sick hours. 

This has defined my last week. About two weeks ago, Kevin and I both got colds. Because she is a healthy, bouncy baby who likes to take three hour naps in the afternoon, her cold was gone by last Saturday. By last Saturday night, my cold was much worse.

And because I have a husband who does way more than his fair share, I decided that instead of sleeping, I would get up with Kevin during her early-morning feedings for a few days in a row. I'm also trying to put our home in order, so I hadn't taken much time to sit down and rest like I usually do and my cold got worser and worserer.  By Monday night, I felt awful. By Tuesday morning, I could barely breathe. Around 2 am I decided to go sleep on our loveseat recliner and began counting down the hours to 8 am, when the Instacare around the block opened. 

I woke up to Scott doing homework on the couch and watching me. I knew there was no way I could ask him to stay home from work, since he was so busy and I knew he needed to be there. So, around 7 am, he left me and baby girl on the couch. He said it was the saddest face he's ever seen on me. It probably was. I had no idea how I was going to survive that day--I figured I could get as far as the instacare with the stroller, but a whole day taking care of Kevin, by myself, without a nap, when I'd barely slept all night?

Ten minutes later, as I was changing a diaper, I heard the front door open. When I came out of the nursery and back into the living room, I saw a dozen yellow roses and lots of delicious chocolate (because oh, by the way, did I mention that it was our anniversary?). The best part, however, was my husband standing there telling me he wasn't going into work that day. 

Mom Lesson #175: 
Life is easier if you has a husband who brings you chocolate and puts you back to bed.

So I was lucky enough to get some sick hours that day as he took care of Kevin before going to school.

Mom Lesson #176:
Every Mom needs access to an Auntie who can come in and save the day!

Enter my little sister Liz, who played with Kevin while I took a nap and Scott went to class and did homework. 

I have a wonderful family.

No comments:

Post a Comment