Thursday, August 30, 2012

Important Tasks of the Day

Today is Thursday. I bet you thought I was going to miss my weekly post.

I almost did.

You see, I have been doing looooooots of important things today, such as:

1. Rearranging wall decor to put up some cute newborn pictures of my sweet babe (you know, now that she is almost six months old)...

2. Cuddling. Lots. Because some days baby girls just need to be held more than others.

3. Carting my husband to and from school, which includes watching all the college-class-goers and being slightly jealous and at the same time overly glad that I am not one of them this year.

4. Introducing my little darlin' to Cinderella. When I was little this was my all-time favorite movie. I probably watched it 400 times before I turned 3. Kevin LOVED it! So much so that she refused to go down for her nap until Cinderellly and her prince rode off together in their golden carriage. And then...she was out.

5. Reading. A book. Because that is what I do.

6. Managing some laundry and dishes somewhere in there  (you know, enough so that the husband thinks I've been doing something productive all day).

7. And...this was the best of all...cheering on my Aggies in their season home opener! I was amazed that we had to wait in a line that went all the way back to the road just to get in the gate...gone are the days of begging my roomate(s) to go with me and sitting down in the middle of the student section at the 50 yard line and most likely leaving at halftime when it started to snow and even putting off homework was not worth the torture.

I have mended my ways.

(Also, I no longer have homework, but that is beside the point.)

Kevin loves football. She was a champ through the whole game. I think she will be fourth-generation sports woman in my family (of these four generations, I am probably the weak link. But maybe I am not as weak as my sister when it comes to watching football, so it is okay. For the record, she is a much better football player). Scott loves that when we go to Aggie football games he is usually surrounded by four or five other women and no men. Today it was eight (if you count the two baby girls), but at least he had our friend Dustin to keep him company.

My mom has this pet peeve about leaving games early. My whole life I have been taught that leaving before the official buzzer/whistle blew was a sinner greater than...well, I don't know what it was greater than, but it was pretty bad. Almost as bad as being a ByU fan.  Remember earlier when I talked about leaving games early to go do homework? I usually snuck out and when my mother called me to repentance later (because there were so few students in the student section she could usually pick me out from their season ticket seats across the field). I had to confess and forsake my sin and sit through the whole miserable game the next time. Today, there were lots of people leaving early (the score was 34-3), and today's post is directed at them.

Sometimes, when you leave early, you miss the good stuff.

Those last three minutes of any sports game are magical. Cinderella stories come true, the most miraculous plays happen, and occasionally, you get to see a referee plowed to the ground near the end zone. And you cheer because really all the refs have deserved it all game and now he knows how the quarterback felt.

Sometimes in life we want to walk out before the game is over because it seems like nothing really important will happen--after all, we have the win, right?

But when you stick around, the good stuff happens.

Like finishing a mission, even though you think you'd rather get married. Or adding a second major, even though you are only four credits away from graduating. Or taking the time to sit and cuddle your baby for ten more minutes even though she is fast asleep and you have other, "more important" things to do. Because sometimes you whisper in her ear "I love you" and she giggles and smiles in her sleep.

Sometimes, these moments fly away and never come back.

Don't miss the good stuff.




No comments:

Post a Comment