Thursday, February 28, 2013

Rinda's Reads: February Finds

Never fear, this is not my Thursday post for the week. It is simply my "Rinda's Reads" post for the month because it is the last day of February thank goodness hallelujah. I am ready for spring. And basketball. And a family getaway to a warmer place. The only thing I'm not ready for in March is Kevin's birthday. I'm just not ready for her to turn one yet!

This month I probably started about a dozen books but only really made it through two. The others either got put down because they were too boring, the writing was all sorts of awful, or they got vulgar. Urgh.

So I am going to recommend the two that I did make it through, because they are seriously worth reading. Thanks to my sister-in-law Tamsen for the recommendations!

The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon. Have a book club assignment coming up and no idea what you should recommend? I suggest this one. Be warned, it is not an easy read or an easy topic, but it is one of those books that will make you feel like a better person for having read it. Rachel Simon's first book, Riding the Bus with my Sister was made into a Hallmark movie. This one also revolves around a character with special needs and takes place in a "school" for the mentally handicapped in the 1960s.

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan is my second favorite book of the month. This one is deep on many levels, but if you don't want to go deep, it is a fascinating read at the most shallow point. The novel focuses on a young woman, Grace, who finds herself on an overcrowded lifeboat after a shipwreck in the year 1914. As days start to pass and rescue doesn't come, the overcrowding of the lifeboat becomes a question of who stays and who goes. Sounds dark...well, yes, I suppose it is...but it will make you think. I like books that make me think, so that is why I am passing it along.

If you live in Salt Lake County, both of these books can be found in the Reader's Choice section through April.

Kevin and I read some good books this month too, with lots of Dr. Seuss thrown in as preparation for our family Dr. Seuss celebration that will take place on Saturday. You will probably hear more about Dr. Seuss later this afternoon, as he taught me a valuable lesson this week. But here is my children's lit pick of the month!

I found this adorable book that I think every mom should read to their little girls! It is called Just Being Audrey and outlines the life of Audrey Hepburn in a children's book. The pictures are really beautiful and her story is just amazing. After reading it I wanted to watch Roman Holiday in a bad, bad way. Good thing I own that movie!

How cute is that cover?

No comments:

Post a Comment