Thursday, January 2, 2014

Resolutions

I know, I know. I have been horribly neglectful since about November when it comes to My Thursday Blog. I would like to say that it is on my list of New Years Resolutions to do a better, more consistent job of posting, but that would be a lie. That is, I am going to try to be better, but this just isn't on my list.

What is on my list, you ask? Well, I am going to try to stop hating BYU athletics to such a horrid degree. Really, not that I think BYU is to be praised, but the level to which I currently hate their athletics programs just doesn't jive with having the spirit. And although I doubt I will get to the level of being a byu-tolerator, I hope to rise above my current status as byu-hater. In addition to that item, my list also includes: getting on instagram (boom! done, as of today!), limiting my time on facebook, learning to bake some type of bread item, reading the Book of Mormon with my family, going somewhere new, completing four house projects, making new friends, and reading 52 books (in reality, I'll probably read more along the lines of 75, but I'd like to read 52 NEW books this year--so if you have any suggestions, send them my way!), monitoring my health better, and strengthening my marriage.

Goals are great, but I've also found that resolutions can be just as important. I think of a resolution as something more than an item on a to-do list--most resolutions are a state of being that requires a certain amount of stretching and pain. Resolutions are not something you do, they are something you become.


Last year, there were two phrases I tried to live by, thanks to starting off my year with Ramona Quimby. These were my resolutions--the things I tried to be, not just things I tried to do.
1. Be Brave
2. Be a Blessing

I did pretty well with those two for most of the year. I tried to serve everywhere I possibly could. I got brave and tried many, many new things--and in the process I learned that I could be happy living in the Salt Lake Valley and that miracles could happen when I willed them to. I feel like 2013 was a year of personal growth for me--and for my family. After all, look how far we came! My baby became a toddler and learned to walk and talk. My husband graduated from college, got a new job, and bought a house (my name is on the deed too, but that's about all I did--add my name).

And, although I do not know what 2014 will bring, here are the three resolutions I am going to try to live by when it comes to my life for the next 363 days.

1. Be faithful, not fearful.
2. Be trusting.
3. Be my best self.

Who are you going to become this year?


No comments:

Post a Comment