Thursday, April 24, 2014

Reality

I don't know about you, but I read a lot of "mommy blogs." Sometimes in our exuberance to present motherhood as "The. Best. Thing. Ever. I love it I love it I love it," we neglect to present that dark side, the "I am the worst at this ever" side and the "I really want to quit but it is too late for that" side. For me, at least, it is hard to publicly acknowledge these parts of motherhood because it is basically letting the world know how bad I fail at my job some days.

So there you go. Sometimes I fail my job. Sometimes I fail to love my job, which is probably even worse than not "being a good mom." But it happens, people.

Thus is the life of a mother.

I have a sneaky suspicion that if you (if you are a mom) disagree with me and have loved motherhood every day of your life, chances are you are probably not as good at mothering as you thought.

(That is what I tell myself, anyway.)

(It makes me feel better.)

(I do denial really well.)

This is the part where I get into the TMI for the week, simply because I want a minute of the wambulance's pity (skip this paragraph if you don't want to know how terrible-wonderful my life is). My week this far has consisted of four visits to Doctor's offices. Two ultrasounds and one cervical check (think of those awkward ultrasounds they do when you are 7-9 weeks along and they can't get anything on your stomach- yeah, my third one of these in four weeks). I've been told I need to watch my diet more (because apparently I haven't been watching it already? What? People, these numbers are great considering the amount of Easter candy I've had tempting me this week!) And while I'm eating less, I need to gain more weight. Also, I probably need an EKG. And the baby needs an EKG. And have I got the directions for my glucose test? (This is the part where I roll my eyes and inform the nurses that if they give me that test, I will probably go into a diabetic coma). And okay, well, since we can torture you by giving you sugar, let me draw your blood and give you a jug so you can collect your urine for the next 24 hours. Don't pretend like it is awkward to keep a cooler of pee in your bathroom. Have we told you you're at risk for preeclampsia? Also, drive another 30 min to bring the pee jug back here as soon as you finish the test. And then don't forget your progesterone shot (and while you're at it, get those two unsightly warts burned off your finger. One of them may need some "carving.") Also, we are going to add another shot to your daily regimen...

The miracle of this all is that I've only broke down crying twice to my husband, once to my mother, and once to my sister-in-law.

My husband held me and told me to make the dark cloud hanging over me go away (me =depressed much this week), as well as sending several pep-talks via email (he's had to be gone a lot this week, bless grad school's heart).  Today I bragged to him that I didn't even tear up when they attacked my warts and he told me it was because I was too stubborn to cry. Actually, I really loved that compliment.

My mother, gotta love her, decided not to give me the "buck up and deal with it" speech (she's really good at that one) but the "I know it doesn't seem like it, but you are doing a great job and you may need to cheat on your diet to keep yourself sane" speech, which made me feel like I could not only handle my life, but I could be grateful for it. And eat some chocolate without feeling totally guilty.

And my sister-in-law? My five minute cry session with her probably did more than anything to make me feel better, because she commiserated with me, and we talked about the reality that motherhood sucks sometimes, even when you love your babies so much, and that although it may be absolutely awful to want to quit being mom, we think it sometimes.

And that's okay.

It happens.

Just so you know.

1 comment:

  1. What a nightmare. I'll keep you in my prayers.

    Also, as I was reading about all the nagging nurses, it reminded me of a pregnancy version of Project Runway (at least what I imagine Project Runway is like). Warts?! Seriously? You've got all of these stresses compounded, and the best they can do is give you a lecture about removing warts?! What do warts have to do with a healthy baby, anyway?!!

    You know this, already, but I have many days where I feel like I'm failing at motherhood. Probably one of my lowest points was when I found out I was having another boy, and freaked out in the middle of the night at Graydon… and I can't even tell you the terrible things I said, because I'm too ashamed to. I just couldn't imagine surviving ANOTHER boy… and I'm nearing my future pregnancy expiration date, so I may never have a girl… and I had to learn to start coping with that.

    But thank Heaven for the Atonement, right? Because of that, I could repent of all of those terrible words, and the Lord helped change my heart, enough that I'm actually excited for another one of these little monkeys. And I got a reminder to look to the future with faith…which (I don't know if this is true for you) can be really hard for me, as a mother.

    You'll survive this!!

    (PS Kudos for not being angry with your husband for telling you to get rid of the dark cloud. Graydon tried to say things like that when I was freaking out and he got in BIG trouble. :) If he had told me to make the dark clouds go away, one of us would not have slept in our bed that night. ;) )

    ReplyDelete