Thursday, January 11, 2018

2017 Wrap-Up

I sure hope my husband loves me enough to forgive me for eating the last half of the discount chocolate orange we busted out last night. At the very least, I'm helping him keep our resolution to be healthier this year, right?

Five days into 2018 and 2017 already seems like a million years ago. I feel like I was a different person then. How is that even possible? It's only been five days! But already I see our lives changing, in positive ways and just-plain-hard ways. It'll be interesting to see where we are 365 days from now, because I know one thing is for sure: I won't be the same person then that I am today.

So before 2017's Rinda is a distant memory, I wanted to take a minute to jot down a couple of my favorite things from last year, both trivial and monumental.

Favorite TV Shows
2017 wasn't an awesome movie year for us. We only went to a few movies in the theater, and only made it through a few new ones at home (most of those took two or three nights to get through). Oddly enough, however, 2017 was a great year for TV. Here are some of the shows I spent far too much time watching, in order of my favorites:

  • MacGyver
  • Bull
  • Victoria
  • Timeless
  • This is Us
  • Wisdom of the Crowd
  • Great British Baking Show (seasons 2-4, mostly binge-watched while in labor)
  • Anne with an E
  • Mercy Street (I'm kind of relieved that this one didn't get renewed, as it got harder and harder to watch)
  • Crimson Field (an old PBS series I found on Amazon, worth watching even though it was cancelled after one season)
  • Poldark (I had a love-hate relationship with this one and found myself doing A LOT of fast-forwarding)
Five-Star Books Read in 2017
I read somewhere around 75 books last year, not including the hundreds of children's books read to and with my children. Few of the novels I read were ground-breaking, but I still managed to read several that I rated five stars on Goodreads.
  • The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
  • Ramona the Brave by Beverly Cleary
  • Jackaby and Beastly Bones by William Ritter (the third and fourth books were disappointing)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Muir by Josephine Leslie
  • Sixteen Brides by Stephanie Grace Whitson
  • Greenglass House by Kate Milford
  • Genevieve's War by Patricia Reilly Giff
  • George Washington's Secret Six by Brian Kilmeade
  • The Girl from the Train by Irma Joubert
  • The Thirteenth Princess by Diane Zahler
  • The Girl Who Came Home by Hazel Gaynor
  • Wedded to War  by Jocelyn Green
  • Wonder by RJ Palacio
  • The Apprentices (The Apothecary Trilogy) by Maile Meloy
Honorable Mentions go to:
  • Sorcery and Cecelia by Patricia Wrede (The sequel was highly disappointing)
  • Out of the Easy by Ruta Septys (never though I'd enjoy a book about a brothel, but this one was excellent)
  • The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill and The Ladies of  Ivy Cottage by Julie Klassen
  • Romancing Miss Bronte by Juliet Gael
  • To the Farthest Shores, From This Moment and Beyond All Dreams by Elizabeth Camden
Kevin's Bedtime Stories for 2017
Kevin and I made it through several books this year, and Sly even joined us for a few. Some were enjoyable and some were not. We gave up on The BFG because she said it was getting too scary for her. Here are the books we finished: 
  • The Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook by Shel Silverstein
  • Nancy Clancy, Secret Admirer by Jane O'Connor
  • The Princess Test and The Fairy's Mistake by Gail Carson Levine
  • Felicity's Surprise by Valerie Tripp
  • Ramona The Pest and Ramona the Brave by Beverly Cleary
  • The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo
  • Eloise and Eloise in Paris by Kay Thompson
  • The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook by Joyce L Brisley
Meals I Made The Most in 2017
Haha. I mostly made Scotty cook, which means we had a lot of pasta and tacos and turkey steaks and breakfast-for-dinner. You can be jealous. My husband cooks AND gets up with the baby at night. He's the best ever.

I do want to list here that I accomplished the feat of being assigned to bring homemade rolls for holiday dinners. It's a BIG deal.

Random Cool Things That Happened to Me in 2017

  • I got to go to NYC for a weekend in September. No kids, just me and three other women (my bff, my sis-in-law, and a complete stranger). We saw three Broadway musicals, walked through Castle Gardens National Park, took pictures by the fierce little girl statue, ate cheesecake, walked all over, happened upon a labor parade and Race for the Cure run, saw Alexander Hamilton's grave, visited the place where George Washington took the oath of office, and ended it all with a black & white shake at JFK international airport. 
  • A woodpecker visited our backyard not once but twice,
  • I dragged my husband and kids all over the backroads of Iowa and it was the highlight of our Nauvoo vacation and my summer (for me, not so much for them). 
  • I visited all of these states: Utah (drove to St George by myself, a first), Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, and New York.
  • I had a baby. She's amazing. If you meet her, you will smile. 
  • I managed to potty train my son. That's probably the biggest accomplishment of the year. 
Bring it on, 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment