Thursday, May 5, 2016

Motherhood Monologues #24: Breathe in, breathe out


Sometimes I wish someone would give me permission to feel my feelings.

I realize, however, that the only person who can do that is me.

I really struggle with excuses. I don't like them. I don't like to use them. I have an innate desire to be perfect and invincible, though neither of those things is possible. I often get mad at myself because I can't keep up with the pace  at which I would like to live life. My body and my children will not let me. 

I hate not feeling productive. I hate having my husband come home to a house that is messier than he left it two days ago. I hate knowing that I could be, should be, would be more if I would stop being so lazy.

I am learning, however, that there is a fine line between lazy and sick. And although I don't like to admit it, my body is ill and will be for the rest of my life. My handful of livable diseases can create a perfect storm of fatigue.

And some days I can't tell the difference between "I don't want to function today" and "I can't function today." All I know is that in the space between those two thoughts, there is a lot of room for guilt and self-doubt. 

I need to just do the best I can, right?
What happens when I don't know what is my best? 
Sometimes, when I try to get there, I overdo it and spend the next three days paying for my confidence. 
But sometimes, I end up exceeding my expectations. 

So I guess it all boils down to this today: I need to take a breather from berating myself and know that maybe someday I'll figure it out. I give myself permission to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment