Sunday, May 1, 2016

Motherhood Monologues #20: Choose


I have often wondered if I made the right choice when I decided to major in Technical Writing. I have very little talent for grammar or spelling, but I do know how to make words and thoughts flow on a page, and I do love to write.

I thought when I majored in this that it would be a good "work from home" job. And it is--if you can break into the market. I've been too tired to do that.

Sometimes I think of the other things I could have learned in college, like teaching or social work or family counseling. I wonder how my life would be different if I had taken one of those paths. Would I be better off? Would I be better able to bring in some extra for my family? Would I feel more fulfilled?

But what about all those English papers and resumes and cover letters and college entrance exams and thesis drafts and Christmas cards and reports that my family and friends send me for an extra look-over? Would I be able to be as helpful if I didn't have the same background? Maybe. Maybe not.

I've come to realize recently that I am not my degree and my degree is not me. These are things I have learned, but learning never stops. I choose every day of my life what I am going to be, and no piece of paper can determine that for anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment