Monday, July 15, 2013

Square One

I have a need.

A need that I really need in the neediest way of needing.
We're talking the top of Maslow's hierarchy of needs here.
A need that very few in my life understand.

Exhibit A:
Last night, as we lay in bed before we fell asleep, Scott and I started talking. He told me about how he was going to do better at studying his scriptures this week (we are both really bad at this lately). I said I would join him and asked if he wanted me to make a scripture reading chart so we can keep track of how well we do.

Scott, incredulous: "Would you actually use that?"
Me, in all seriousness: "Yes, and there can be a reward if we read so many days in a row."
Scott: "What kind of a reward?"
Me: "A new Molly doll."

He kind of, but not really, laughed in my face.

Fact: I am nearly 26 years old.
Fact: I want a new American Girl Molly doll.
Fact: I am not ashamed.
Fact: Molly is being retired (aka KILLED) but nobody knows exactly when.
Therefore: I need to get a new Molly doll ASAP.

What followed that conversation was a conversation about how:
- you already have a Molly doll
- yes but for our daughters sake I need a new one for her to play with when she gets older
-so?
-you just don't understand-you need to talk to my mother about how this is a necessity
-do I really need to have that conversation with your mother?
-yes right now (looks around for the phone and sees that it is 10:17pm and that conversation will have to wait for tomorrow).

And what follows this conversation is a realization that I have two Bachelor's degrees and no way to make some extra money right now. Yes, I could get a job, but that is not in our "family plan" at the moment (unfortunately, the career path I have chosen is not exactly made of money--at least not until our children do famous things and make lots of $$ and decide that they are so grateful to us that they want to share half their fortune with us). I briefly suggested starting a photography business, and Scott and I both laughed about that (see last week's post). Then I considered the other options: Pampered Chef, Mary Kay (my worst nightmare), Avon, Scentsy.

"I could do Scentsy. But I'd have to have $99 to start the business, and that puts me back at square one," I say aloud to a very tired and slightly amused Scott.

So I revert back to the EFY trick of figuring out how you really aren't getting paid crap for the job you do (considering all the hours you work in a week as an EFY counselor, plus the little costs of nametags and treats for your peeps each week, it amounted to getting paid about $2 an hour).

Note: I don't actually have any problems with not bringing in any money. In every case but this one, Scott and I are very united on the "finance" front. I do not want to be a working-outside-the-home mother right now. I just really want a Molly doll, and I don't feel like it is fair exactly to buy it for myself with family money. If I could earn the money on my own, that would be different.

Me: "What if I hired out as somebody else's stay at home mom for $2 an hour? At 12 hours a day, I could make enough in two weeks to earn a Molly doll."

My husband, the accountant: "Actually, you'd earn enough in one week."

Me, feeling silly that I can't do math: "Yes, but if I worked for two weeks, then I could buy the Best Friends collection and get Molly AND her best friend Emily and then Kevin and I would both have a doll to play with when she gets old enough."

Note: I am such a considerate mother.

I don't remember how our conversation ended, other than one or the other of us finally just fell asleep, and it was probably me, because I tend to fall asleep in the middle of conversations at night, especially when they are not going anywhere.

But I woke up this morning feeling very silly that none of my talents can really earn me any extra money quick.

So I have a few ideas:

A. My mom needs to call Scott and explain to him how his life will be enriched if he buys me a new Molly doll.

B. I can take our two or three spare change jars to the coinstar at Winco and invest the amount and hope it gives me a high turnaround very quickly.

C. One of my readers could "sponsor" a trip for a Molly doll to make the journey from the factory in Wisconsin to my apartment in Midvale. Any rich relatives out there? Bueller? Bueller?

D. It is my birthday soon...

I hope you are all just as amused as my husband is about this little "quirk" of mine.

Seriously, though, I need a new Molly doll.



she makes me happy.

 Any suggestions on how to accomplish this would be welcome.

4 comments:

  1. I LIKE YOU EVEN MORE!

    Seriously, a year after we got married I battled with myself in my brain over and over again about the appropriate way for me to convince my husband that his grown up wife needed a new American Girl Doll. I still order a magazine to be delivered to my home every year, and I can hardly wait until Edel is big enough that I can read them to her and she can understand!

    If you gave me your address I would totally, seriously, and completely send you five dollars for your Molly fund (when is she getting discontinued?)

    Also, when Samantha was discontinued I totally wrote American Girl a letter telling them what a horrible mistake they were making. It did not change things one bit, but I still have faith in a resurrection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea when she is going off the shelves--my suspicion is that they just sell her until they run out of dolls and then she's done (which is why I feel this is such an urgent matter!)

      I've known this was probably coming for a while, as I mourned the passing of Felicity, Kirsten, and Samantha. I just don't feel the new dolls are as good, but that could be because I haven't read any of their books. I feel that having a new Molly doll is essential to Kevin's understanding of Molly in six or so years.

      It is nice to know someone out there understands my plight! You may just be getting my address soon.

      Delete
  2. Your needs are so much less expensive than mine, so I say you give yourself a pat on the back! :)

    I'll send $5, too. You can text me your address.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tessa Williams July 17, 2013

    You could try to get some money doing freelance work. Here is an address for a freelance site: www.elance.com. I bet they have something writing related that you could do from home. :)

    ReplyDelete