Saturday, April 30, 2016

Motherhood Monologues #19: Laugh


I knew when I married my husband, he would make me laugh every day for the rest of my life. I knew when my son's personality started to shine that he had inherited that same gift for creating laughter. And even my daughter can bring out the giggles in me. I think it is genetic.

Even for all that we laugh together in our home, they still can't make me laugh so hard that I worry about wetting my pants. That job has always been reserved for my siblings.

There may have been a family dinner without giggles, but I don't remember it. Nobody can toss witty insults the way that my little brother does, or make silly comments like my little brother, or elevate a party like my little sister. The three of them are the perfect combination of Burningham dry humor and clever Browning witticisms.

From a young age, I knew that I didn't belong to the same class of hilarity that they do--and that was fine with me. They needed an audience in order to be funny. Often, my parents didn't understand why they could make me laugh so hard--tis a mystery I haven't figured out for myself.

I may not have gotten the "entertainer" gene--but I am one of the entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment