Monday, April 25, 2016

Motherhood Monologues #15: Gifts


From my parents: the Temple Clothing, specially packaged, that I thought they had forgotten about, the trip to Texas that none of us could afford but all of us needed
From my aunt: the letter waiting on my bed when I returned home from my mission
From my Grandpa: the rocking chair he spent hours restoring for me
From my Grandma: the gift of letting me help her with family history
From my Burningham Grandparents: the books they gave me for my high school graduation
From my sister: the beautiful sketch she drew of my children
From my big brother: that time that one of his high school friends came up to me and said, "oh! You're the one who writes for the newspaper! Ben told me about you." when I thought nobody in the school knew we were related because I was too much of a dork to merit acknowledgement.
From my little brother: all the hours he spent keeping me company when I was recovering from my initial diabetes diagnosis. Also, the continuation of the furby wars.
From my in-laws: the hutch sitting in my kitchen, that I absolutely love.
From my best friends: the Texas charm bracelet that is so totally me.
From that sweet neighbor: the simple card in the mail just to brighten my day
From my husband: that simple Christmas stocking full of French chocolate, the constant phone calls and emails over the last few years, the camera that blew me away, and the kisses, hugs, and words he gives when he knows I need them most.
From my daughter: the time when, as a toddler, she wrote on a heart so I wouldn't be left out of our family Valentine tradition
From my son: the reminder that Jesus has the power to heal me

My love language hasn't always been gifts, but as a sentimental person, gifts mean the world to me, especially when they are thoughtful. The best gifts I have been given are the gifts of time and support and friendship. Sometimes these gifts come in the form of experiences together, a well-timed email or text message, or a tangible gift that is so thoughtful that I am overwhelmed by love. Of all the gifts I've ever been given, however, the gift that means the most to me comes from my Heavenly Father: His son, by whom my whole life is illuminated and meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment